28 April 2006

reality check.

I can get so caught up in the work that I get paid to do that I lose sight of my job as a citizen; a job description that is nothing short of that which is expected of a superhero in any comic book (or, for the kids out there, xBox and Regal Cinema).

Bear with me... we'll get to a point, but I got some other shit to unload first: I'm notoriously bad at any sort of schedule. It's something that almost cost me my degree and severely affected/s my credit score. I was never the kid that wrote down homework assignments, due dates, or kept a calandar in my room. Since high school I have inadvertently surrounded myself with persons that are highly organized so I was enabled: why write something down or waste energy memorizing if I can just hang with my flock and get there on time?

Well, I'm making a change. Don't be alarmed, it's not entirely of my own accord. You see, the company holding my student loans is finally telling me that I can't defer again. What this means is that I now have to rehab a very substantial loan.

I accept responsibility for this. I feel that I received a $40,000 education. I need to pay the man.

But that doesn't mean this is going to be easy -- beginning with the back and forth conversation with Cynthia (a rep of the loan holder):
Cynthia: Why have you further indebted yourself buy purchasing a new car, Mr. Planty?
Me: I had to get a reliable car to travel to work to make money.
Cynthia: I can't afford a new car so I drive a used car.
Me: That's excellent Cindy! You're such a responsible person. But, with all due respect, if we're going to talk about you and your life I'm going to expect dinner and a blowjob.
Cynthia: I'm sorry, I was just...
Me: That's what I thought. Enough about you. Enough judging. Get me through this as painlessly as possible.
Cynthia: Let me see what I can do.

As it turns out, Cindy was able to crunch some numbers re: my monthly income versus my monthly expenses and give me a figure in the ball park of $400 a month toward repaying the loan. After I fell out of my chair, I went headfirst in to further negotiations.

Since this is not what I had intended to write about I'll get to the point:

I may only have a few hundred bucks extra a month for things like beer, coffee, and pizza, but I have more than enough TIME to devote to being a citizen.

The reality of war.

This, like any job, is all about balance.