27 September 2005

I like prudes because I am one?

Ever get the feeling: "you're taking yourself way too seriously"?

(waits applause of agreement to die down)

One of the most painful things that any ex-beau has ever called me was "uptight." After cleaning the blood off of my hands and sinking his (scrawny and sexually inadequate) body in Lake Erie, I resolved to never be seen in such an unflattering light again. Or at the very least, to never aligned with those that may be described as pretentious/uptight/boring.

MAN-0-MAN! Way easier said than done. For whatever [tragic] reason, I am not only attracted to men who seem to take themselves too seriously, I fall into character like the helpless woman on a Lifetime Movie of the Week of your chosing. The result is the same in every movie and it's the same in every one of my relationships: A very close friend becomes alienated and I hole up trying to figure out what it was that I did wrong to make such a great, grounded, serious-about-life guy decide that I'm NOT the one.

I am not this serious, seriously uptight person that boring (albeit, cute) boys have the ability to turn me into.

Am i?

I am reminded of an incident at a bar not too long ago where an attractive and overly "popular" man who was what would be effectively interpreted as "flirting" asked me, "You don't really take yourself that seriously, do you?" So I proved him wrong. (read: a roll in the hay)

Maybe I do take myself seriously. Maybe this is why I so frequently find myself in [bed] with stoic and humorless men. Maybe I surround myself with enough friends that DON'T take anything serious.

For example, while writing introductions for the members of a wedding party of an upcoming wedding, my cowriter and I were met with numerous roadblocks because the targets of our very funny descriptions would be too uptight to know that it is a fucking joke. As a result, the funny-because-it's-true descriptions hit the cutting room floor.

Ah, it's the little things - At least i'm not as uptight as the Bride's sister.